One of the things I do every year is set some goals for the upcoming business year. It’s a tradition. I usually sit down in November or December and outline what I’d like to accomplish in the upcoming year. Some of the goals are big and bold, some are small and simple. It’s always good to get to the end of a wedding season and see what worked and what didn’t.
In 2018, I was pregnant so a lot of things didn’t go as I planned. If you’ve read anything about my journey through pregnancy you know it was a rough one. So, I’m excited to approach 2019 renewed, refreshed and maybe with no pre-partum depression. Even though we are starting out the year with a new member of the family and things are sure to be different, but I’m sure it will play into the goals anyway.
- Balance family, business, and teaching! I love being able to be both a wedding photographer and teach third grade. I spent most of the last decade working only for myself and did the reverse of most wedding photographers. I took on a job, not because I had to, but because I wanted to and it’s already proven to be very rewarding, fun and different. Plus teaching compliments wedding season so well anyway – they make a good fit. Now, I have to throw in being a mom in there too. So, the first goal of 2019 is inevitably to balance it all. It’s a little big and bold, but I’m confident I can do it.
- Convince someone to get married in costume at the Hobbiton movie set in New Zealand. It’s listed on my website pricing info, but if you fly me out there and cover travel for such a wedding – I’m all yours. Just take me back to New Zealand and I’ll even wear my own hobbit costume!
- Limit my bookings to 15 weddings in one year. I’ve gone from shooting close to 40 weddings a year to pairing it down a little bit each season. This year my max limit is 15 (gotta keep that balance thing going). This way I can work with some amazing clients, but also ensure I’m spending enough time on each client. I already have wedding booked, so if you’re considering me – let’s get you booked before I’m booked up!
- Book some of my favorite types of events, elopements, polyamourous celebrations and anything else non-traditional.
- Book a Halloween themed wedding. I have these every year, and they’re always my favorite!
- Have the pleasure of working with more clients this season who invite me to be part of their lives and make me feel like part of the family at the wedding.
- Start the speaking circuit. I took the last year off the speaking world in photography because all the travel was driving me nuts. It’s been so great not having to be in so many places all the time and truly, with my pregnancy, it wouldn’t have been possible. However, I’m ready now to start again!
- Just continue to give my best and advocate for my clients as much as possible in busines.